View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 21:31   Link #852
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchuang View Post
Also remember the first time Henrietta seduces Saito in the run-down inn, she is in fact in the middle of a plot to eliminate her oppositions. I was most taken aback by her comment that these people are "enemies and traitors" in no uncertain terms. She is in fact gearing up for a very brutal bloodbath in the theater.
The thing is, though, I'm not sure that this says as much about Henrietta herself as her upbringing and the society she grew up in. We've already seen from Louise and the other nobles that they're raised to think of their own lives as being expendable in the service of their country - with that kind of attitude, why would Henrietta be overly concerned about the lives of those who (as she sees it) are working against the country?

Moreover, as a princess and heir to the throne, Henrietta should have been brought up with a reasonable idea of plots, intrigues and conspiracies - to do otherwise would have been gross negligence on the part of her parents.

Considering all that plus Henrietta's relative inexperience in rulership, I don't necessarily think it's all that odd that she should come off cold and calculating at some times, yet pretty hapless and naive at other times - or even that she should be so quick to use her friends as tools, because that seems to me to be how their entire system of nobility (and hence government) actually works.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote