View Single Post
Old 2012-10-13, 17:43   Link #818
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I'm not saying that "I know the system". I'm saying that...

1) There's no good, in-canon reason to think that the gun is giving recommendations instead of giving commands.

2) Going by the wording used, it sounds more like its giving commands.

So why are people just assuming its giving recommendations? Because that would make the system more defensible? Maybe the system isn't meant to be defensible. And like I wrote before, a crazy system doesn't mean a stupid story. 1984 had a crazy system, but it was definitely not a stupid story.
Check all of the instances of the dominator evaluations: The only time it said "aim careful and <perform action>" is when it switched between lethal and nonlethal modes. In other instances, it merely informed the user that the target is or isn't a valid target and its threat level. In other words, the dominator is giving instructions on how to use it--perfectly reasonable when the dominator is changing modes--, and just like manuals are written in the imperative, the dominator's instructions are in the imperative. We certainly do not assume that manuals are giving commands, and the users who read manuals must immediately perform the actions written therein.

Quote:
Like I wrote before, I can imagine (and probably even accept) this system determining that some targets really are too far gone to be worth trying to rehabilitate. But that decision should be based on more than just moments of extreme trauma and high emotionality, which people tend to recover from at least to some extent.
To me it sounds like there are two systems for assessing an individual:
1. a system in the dominators and scanners, which give a preliminary assessment and recommends treatment or authorizes nonlethal force or lethal force.

2. the Sibyl system, which gives an in depth assessment of whether the target can be treated.

This is why Ginoza mentions that the Sibyl judgment hasn't been received, but they can proceed anyway.

The episode addresses why the dominators can authorize lethal force without a Sibyl judgment: Kagari's attempt to use paralyzers failed on the target because he was too drugged up. Thus, escalation is sometimes necessary without waiting for Sibyl's judgment. The real omission here is why we don't see evidence of a manual conversion back to nonlethal mode.