View Single Post
Old 2011-08-21, 12:09   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I liked this episode a lot.

The main thing I liked about it was the directorial touches in this. Lots of great facial close-ups for important moments and pieces of dialogue, good handling of physical confrontations, and just all-around superb directing here.

One thing I will say is that Enishi and Takako have been humanized for me. I'm not sure if I would call them likable yet, but I do find myself caring a smidgen about what happens to them. That may be largely (if not entirely) a function of pity, but it nonetheless helps that I get the sense that, in their own quirky ways, Enishi and Takako are both good decent people. If you had told me, right after Episode 8, that I'd eventually come to view Takako that way, I would have found that impossible to believe.

I get the sense that Takako sincerely doesn't want to inconvenience the Inn, and that she truly does want to earn Sui's approval and respect. Takako is a much more authentic person than what I had thought back in Episode 9.

Some fruits have grown well here due to the labors of comprehensive supporting cast character development. Nako, Takako, and especially Minchi, are characters that I like and/or care about more now than I did back around Episode 9 or so.

I also liked how Tohru came across in this episode. I like his frankness and honesty.

While I can understand people thinking that Minchi regressed a bit here, I don't really think that's the case. Minchi's reasons for raging at Ohana make sense to me; much more than her first run-ins with Ohana did way back in the first two episodes of Hanasaku Iroha. Minchi has a deep-seated crush on a guy who's attention has been thoroughly captured by Ohana. That's made it difficult for Minchi to develop a relationship with Tohru at a pace that she'd like, as her attempts to do so just remind Tohru of Ohana instead. Minchi now has to suck it up and make a risky sudden confession that's very hard for her to do, or seriously risk Tohru never even considering her as a possible girlfriend. And all of that is mainly due to Ohana.

Once again, Okada is showing great skill in developing and executing romantic conflict. It was time for Minchi to bring things to a head with Ohana, and its time for Ohana to be made aware that Tohru has a crush on her. I just hope that Ohana handles this better than she did her situation with Ko.

All-told, this was a refreshingly plot-heavy episode with great character moments, but it is hindered a slight bit by the weaknesses of certain characters. Still, Hanasaku Iroha is at least taking advantage of all of the time they've dedicated to supporting cast character developing, and is starting to reap what they've sowed in that regard.

Was all that supporting cast character development worth it?

Maybe. Speaking for myself, that'll depend on how the last few episodes go. Episode 21 gives me reason for cautious optimism, at least.

A well-earned 9/10 for Episode 21.