View Single Post
Old 2008-05-17, 00:04   Link #33
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwroc View Post
You seem to misunderstand something about this: you seem to think that Microsoft has some sort of advantage when it comes to the playing of these files. That is completely false. The mkv container format is an open standard - a standard that includes this kind of linked/segmented format.

It's hardly the fault of Microsoft, or the the majority that uses Windows OS, that Linux open source developers are incapable of doing something that Windows open source developers succeeded in doing some time ago. You're a Linux user, and Linux is about user made stuff, so I'd suggest you stop complaining about Microsoft and make a media player that can play these files.
You have completely misinterpreted what WanderingKnight said. Rather, you've responded to some of his words in order to run with an unrelated rant. Please, this is not the thread for it.

His frustration, and mine, is not blaming Microsoft for this. It is merely frustration that some one releasing something that, to date, only has support on a single media splitter which happens to only run on a single platform (it's not just the Linux people who are left out). It would be the same frustration that any Windows user would feel if a release only played properly in Linux or OS X.

No one in this thread is screaming or calling foul. It's just some disappointment and exasperation, and we recognize that eventually it will be working on our platforms and that the added pressure of these releases might speed things up.

And as long as I'm posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohKai View Post
Just as a correction, BSS' Kurenai isn't the first to do this (unless the raw was like this?). SHS-FoSu have been doing this since the start of Alison and Lillia.
Oh, I know that Kurenai wasn't the first. It just so happened that BSS released a Kurenai episode in this format right before this thread was created. I have no idea if that had anything to do with TheFluff's decision in posting, but considering the timing and the extreme benefit the format provides for this particular show, I figured it was the best example.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.