Thread: Windows 10
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-04, 16:38   Link #37
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Yes the metro interface can be cumbersome the first time you try it but aside from that the OS is much faster, secure and efficient than windows 7.
Windows 8 is actually slower, if you think a windows 8 fresh install is faster then your windows 7 is simply filled with bloatware. Windows 8 with stuff on it is "more bloated" (the damn thing runs its entire metro garbage in the background after all and has your desktop as 2nd hand citizen); though not substantially enough in raw speed anyone should care too much. The speed issue is in use cases, ie. slower because it malfunctions or doesn't work. Due to various wonderful incompatibility issues (likely due to the wonderful new security policies I image) it causes a ton of programs to run substantially slower (large part of which seem to be disk access related). Heck if you're running multiple OSes on the same machine it even messes with them by making sure with its new and improved bootloader that switching to anything but windows 8 will require a reboot (though that can be fixed, by wasting more of your time).

At work I was forced to use windows 8 and at home I have windows 7. Doing similar things (even the most mundane of regular day tasks) I would always be able to do it substantially faster on windows 7 just because the damn operating system wouldn't get in my way all the time, I wouldn't be wasting time "fixing" it and I would also not be wasting time finding alternatives that would actually work on it. Also amusingly the few times I checked windows 8 was also eating a lot more ram, again while doing the same thing; something like 2-3gigs at most and this on a machine that had less then what the windows 7 had to work with. Having seen this happen for over a year I'm pretty sure I would have warmed up to windows 8 by now if it wasn't actually a worse operating system in every way possible.

Also while security is a concern if you don't go to stupid sites, download shady torrents and such and have a semi decent antivirus, while the risk isn't nonexistent, the difference in security between the two OSes is more or less irrelevant marketing.

Anyway, if it's worked flawlessly for you, then great for you!

Personally I've hadn't had a month where there wasn't some stupid thing related to it I had to sort out to get work done. With how much useless work it's caused I would have formatted and bouth a windows 7, if I was actually allowed to do so. I mean for crying out loud two days ago I formatted my home machine and did a fresh install, re-installing and configuring most things, including all the fiddly settings on various programs with all the plugins I need to use them efficiently. It all took less time then most windows 8 headaches took to sort out.