View Single Post
Old 2007-03-16, 00:34   Link #76
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Don't forget about Bones, and Sunrise would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling Gundam Seed Destiny.
I highly respect BONES and would put them second to KyoAni as the studio with the best batting average. But they've plopped out lemons in the past. I find just about everything they've done to be watchable and smooth, but not all of it is outstanding. As for Sunrise... if you like every single title they've produced over the course of their existence as a studio, with the sole exception of GSD, you certainly possess more stamina than I.

Quote:
As it stands though all I'm seeing is a company that takes already popular source material from dating sims and does its best to make it into a solid anime and that's just not enough to cut it for me right off the bat like it is for some other people. Maybe another Full Metal Panic would be enough to change my mind. I've yet to see the Second Raid, so I'll hold off a bit on the criticism until then. Except for this one. How Can You Fail To Succeed If You Don't Take Any Risks? Think about that one for a second.
lol. FMP fits the "already popular source material" definition to a T, dude. Anyway, I don't see anyone claiming that KyoAni is Studio 4°C or something. Studio 4°C garners similarly intense & adoring praise--there are a lot of people who believe that everything they touch turns to sakuga gold--just from a different crowd. An action-oriented or political series like Geass might be more enjoyable to you, but that's no reason to suggest that doing a political show is what'll make KyoAni "prove" themselves. Light novels and visual novels are not lesser source material by any means.

Personally, I've never claimed that KyoAni is innovative on anything but a visual quality front. But I've really, really liked every single one of their anime. Heck, I even liked Munto! And the fact that their visual quality improves over time is astounding. Even FMP: Fumoffu pales in comparison to later offerings like AIR. I mean, I'm sorry that you don't shamelessly lap Key's stories up the way I do (), but that's not really something to hold against KyoAni. So they're not doing anything you're interested in--so what? The visual quality they bring to the table, more consistently and brilliantly than any other TV anime studio out there, is undeniable. If nothing else, hopefully it'll challenge those other studios not to settle for cheap-looking animation and cost-cutting gimmicks. Maybe someday we'll start seeing KyoAni caliber animation from companies that aren't called KyoAni... and maybe some of those uber-l33t-looking shows will be stuff that gets your blood pumping.

Tell me--what risks are other studios taking? And why is taking risks admirable? If you have a great story, original or otherwise, you should have confidence in it. That's not taking a risk. I mean, okay, maybe suddenly doing a BDSM shota series would be taking a risk, but it'd also be stupid and pointless. I will grant you that there are studios that take true risks and freshen up the industry in the process, like Studio 4°C--but that's one out of just how many? Why can't KyoAni do their own thing? Why is risking the confusion and even ire of fans more commendable than doing your best to make them happy?

People will only fawn over KyoAni as long as KyoAni keeps making shows that they love. They certainly won't eat just anything that KyoAni tries to feed them... they don't like a show because it's from KyoAni, but because it has the beauty and faithfulness to the source that they have come to expect from KyoAni. People won't make any excuses for them if they screw up--if that happens, the honeymoon ends.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote