View Single Post
Old 2010-05-29, 21:53   Link #2992
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I hear in some countries, the WC is SO popular the entire nation comes to a freaking halt. Apparently, if you miss work (dependent on your field) it's not a big deal cause sometimes supervisors are also watching the match.

Is this true in your countries?

I saw an anime original ep of Shin Chan where the Nohara's all stay up and watch the World Cup late at night. When Hiroshi (the dad) goes to work all groggy, the company meeting is at a stand still, cause all the stiffs were groggy from staying up late too!

I know if you tried and pull that crap in America, your ass would be fired though.
Yup, it's true. Football isn't just popular, it's part of the national identity. The World Cup is only once every four years like the Olympics, but is considered way more important. Just like on national holidays work slows down.

At least one match of our national team will be played under office hours. Newspapers reported that at least 25% of the working population will take a day off.

A lot of companies will allow people to watch it at work, simply if they didn't people would probably call in sick. Work is slow during those days anyway so they don't care, besides the management will want to see the matches too. Most schools will probably close early as well. During game time streets are guaranteed to be empty.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote