View Single Post
Old 2007-07-11, 21:43   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah well.. in Hollywood they call that "character acting". Need a particular character? Abe Vigoda, Arnold Schwarzenegger, George Burns & Gracie Allen, "half the crew that made up John Wayne's posse", ad infinitum.

Some people make a whole career out of playing one sort of role. In her case, it just happens to be a "Vulcan" type role: monotonic and monosyllabic but with micro-flourishes of sarcasm, desire, wit, etc.

I often joke that Asakawa Yuu can put more information into one grunt than many actresses can put into an over-emoted page of dialog.
In Minori's case, I think her Nagato role had the micro-flourishes (maybe you missed them or I read more than what was there), but the character Minami isn't quite the same so I'm interested in seeing if its just Nagato Act 2 or if she actually projects the Minami from the comic strip.
Don't forget Mr. T, Lawrence Tierny, Lee Marvin and all those Film Noir actors.

No I'm aware that Chihara Minori is a character actor and that's alright, but I think people are making a big mistake when they talk of her like she's a god given voice actress on account of Yuki and this should be evident in the fact that studios keep sticking her in similar monotone roles. As such I don't greet the notion of the VA of Yuki being in this series as Minami with any sort of fervor, surprise or grandure, just acceptance.

Certainly she was in the right place at the right time doing the right role with Haruhi and she did alright and that goes a long way, but if you want my opinion Minami is exactly what she should be doing and I don't think she's got the kind of future ahead of her that Aya Hirano has in the industry in spite of sharing in the popularity of Haruhi with her.

One question remains though....where exactly is Goto Yuko in all this? I'm almost certain she will be making an appearance given all the signs that Lucky Star is to be a touch and go reunion of the Haruhi cast and the memories of the series, but we may not even know where and when she appears. Be on the look out people for any exceptional high pitched helpless sounding voice in the next 5 or so episodes. If anyone thinks they've spotted her I'd appreciate the person letting everybody know.