Thread: Licensed Taishou Yakyuu Musume
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-28, 07:44   Link #351
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episodes 11-12

Definitely a strong finish if I ever saw one. No ridiculous magics, Deus Ex Machinas and the like to pull them out of the fire. They practiced their hearts out and fought tooth and nail to get as good as they already are. And of course, emphasis on "heart", because no person wins in any competition without heart. You can be as good as a demigod but if you don't play with your heart's worth even demigods of sport fall. You need skill and heart to win anything. You need to want to win more than anything. Of course, a little heart-to-heart talk from a Mamiko Noto monologue always helps.

Likewise the men's team isn't a bunch of condescending chauvinists. They respected and knew the amount of practice and resulting skill the girls developed and knew they had treat the game seriously rather than be... well a bunch of "men." Despite having that strangely skewed idea of chivalry they're a respectable bunch.

It's almost rare for a show where you don't simply root for a side and don't develop a degree of disdain for the opposition. Both sides of the game are a likable bunch. Rather than expect a crushing defeat from which one does not return, I was actually expecting both sides to learn and get better no matter who wins.

I mean sure okay the cheering squad, Souya fighting through the pain and Koume's dad suddenly being a forgiving father were old cliches of underdog stories, but you have to admit it given the girl's progression it was already expected, and above all not cheesy. Also, the "climactic" duel between Akiko and her fiancee was a possible ending you could have seen from miles away. So even though they lost, there's no anger or animosity between both sides.

On the downside, it's actually not a very conclusive ending given the post-game events and the scene after the credits. Do I smell a season 2?

Gladly!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote