View Single Post
Old 2012-07-15, 08:41   Link #6
brocko

I think an events/conventions subforum would be a great idea.

I don't think any special rules would necessarily be required though, apart from proper thread labeling. If someone is careless enough to be making a duplicate thread, just hit them with a warning and lock it or merge it or whatever it is that the mods do. Nothing new that's not already standard procedure right now. And I doubt it'd be that big of a frequently recurring offense either. At least not to the point to be holding off on the idea altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I'm curious as to what kind of restrictions will be placed on the creation of convention threads if the sub-forum idea goes ahead. If thread creation were restricted only to "verified" convention organisers (or someone with permission to act on their behalf) and/or the moderators, it might be difficult for threads for smaller or newer conventions. Ultimately though, it might be easier to restrict creation of threads to the mods to avoid duplicates, but may create more (and possibly unnecessary) work for you guys.

The potential format for this sub-forum could work similarly to the current limited sub-forums for anime series: thread creation is limited to mods, and a request for new convention threads be available to users. For a request, the bare minimum should be a link to the convention's website and a brief description of the convention itself. The convention itself should focus on pop culture/anime & manga/Japanese culture(?) in general. My main concern is if requests get ignored, rather than outright approved/rejected.
Thread restriction will only hinder the effectiveness of such a subforum imo. Mods and/or event organisers won't be able to have as great of a coverage as the general populace of the community in identify and sharing events/conventions. That extra step to get a thread creation "approved" can be off-putting to many and as a result may very well stifle potential event/convention discussion+promotion from ever prospering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Should a thread be created for each iteration of a convention (particularly if it is being held at a different venue than the previous year)? Or should there be one thread per event limit? Conventions such as the Supanova pop culture expo, which are held in multiple places throughout the year, may pose a problem.
I think it'd be best if there was a new thread for each different event. But I can see how certain cases can get a little iffy so it might just be better to let the community dictate things themselves and see what people gravitate towards.
Megathreads should be avoided where ever possible though. It's just a pain to digging within them for the relevant info when you really shouldn't have to.
I.E: If it's something like an annual event, make a new thread for each year. You don't want relevant info being buried and hidden within pages and pages of discussion.

If it's something like this: http://www.madman.com.au/reelanime/
where the movies are going to be screened in different places all throughout the same time period (or closely timed intervals). Then the one thread for it should suffice, since each new location probably wouldn't generate enough discussion to warrant it's own thread.

In fact the level of activity and discussion generated could be the determining factor in deciding whether a multiple location event should be split up or not.

-----

To me, this new section doesn't really need much to get it off the ground at all. It'd just be like having another Upcoming Series section. People are already making great 1st posts in those with all the relevant info, so I mean why can't they do so for this new one?

I believe the people here at Animesuki are sensible enough to be making the good judgement calls themselves. And if there is an odd case of the one person getting it wrong, there's always the mods to provide a helping hand

I propose that there at least be the country, name and year be included in the title and to strictly enforce it as such. I feel perhaps city and month are also up for debate as well, but it shouldn't get any more exact than those for a thread title. Street names, exact locations and dates should be in the 1st post if people really require it and may be too much detail for a thread title.

So for example:
[AUS] Supernova 2012 (Brisbane)
[AUS] Supernova 2012 (Sydney)
[AUS] Reel Anime 2012 (Syd, Melb, Brisb, etc)
[USA] Anime Expo 2012 (LA)
[JP]Comiket 2012 (Tokyo)

Something along the lines of those would be ideal imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote