View Single Post
Old 2012-02-03, 23:37   Link #1423
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Gold truth isn't a deus ex machina (although it acts like one). It's exactly what Jan said, "magic" and "gold truth" mean the exact same thing.

And as Etrien said, gold truth is the personal belief you hold, even when the red truth goes against you. It's the accepted truth of what a group believes even when what happened was actually different (the existence of Kinzo in EP4 for example).

This is also why there is no concrete definition of what the gold truth is. Gold truth is completely subjective, thus the definition of gold truth is also up for endless interpretation.

So while it may have seemed like a deus ex machina with the gold truth in EP5, that really wasn't it. Gold can either hold the power of red or blue (that is, right or possibly right), but it's impossible for anyone to tell just how much power it holds. It's a cat-box. If the truth can't really be known, then it's better to believe in something you WANT to believe in, right? That's what the gold truth is, and what the truth of Umineko ultimately ends up being.

It's funny that I comment on this now, because I actually joined this site two years ago so that I could post my thoughts on the gold truth, which I did in my very first post. And my theory has held up even until today.