View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 21:20   Link #28283
UsagiTenpura
Artist

So, I'm thinking Renall doesn't need his own lawyer here.
And in the end all that comes out of this is that he doesn't like Umineko. There's a thread for that.
Moving on...

Concerning motives of gameboard...
I think there are tons of them. They are overflowing, but they are crappy motives. Lolgold being the central of them.
Beatrice as a writer can also, at least theorically, make anyone into a culprit.
More importantly we as readers can also do it in our speculation (and indeed does it)
At that point it falls more or less into personal understanding of various characters (and often personal hatred). Did Ryuukishi even have a solid definitive answer concerning this? Maybe, but it doesn't seem to be something he nor the story cares about.
To a lot of people that is Yasu, to a lot of others it is George, I think some people think it's Kyrie and the Battler culprit theory is also in the air. Kinzo's responsability as well as Genji are also up in the air concerning this. But it doesn't really matter who is the culprit in any given story, it's clear that the mastermind is the writer, by definition. That's true even if the culprit is always the same.
This is fundamentally not too different from the relation between the main mystery of Higurashi and a given arc's culprit.

So that's where fantasy motives comes into play. It might not make realistic sense, but it's more interesting then normal motives that simply makes a character look bad, often crazy. Higurashi had it's shares of scifi and fantasy elements, and I'm fairly certain it made to most viewers and readers the whole thing more interesting. There's something more mystical to a mystery that includes such elements then a typical detective story tend to have, I think this is the basic fan base of both Umineko and Higurashi too.

In the end, detective mysteries (those that respects the laws of physics at least) have a very limited number of possible solutions as far as the why dunnit goes. Most of the time it is resumed as "their emotions lead them to do these murders" and sometimes we can even have sympathy and understanding for these murders but it is not such a deep revealing mystery as sometimes fantasy or science fiction can achieve.
I am not saying that detective mysteries are bad, but they are mostly centered on who dunnit and how dunnit - because there's just that much of a limit on the why dunnit, despite what Will might say.

There's a reason why series like Lost go so popular and I think by bringing up fantasy over mystery, Ryuukishi wanted us readers to get that same sort of feeling. It's ironic in that sense that we mostly ended up rejecting anything that isn't fantasy and ultimately forced ourselves to deception by accepting a pretty ... bland... why dunnit.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote