View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 23:06   Link #20
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I believe there's an underlying cultural problem. We get satellite TV over here from China and by far the two most popular and numerous types of programs are either set in the Warring states-Three kingdoms period, romanticising imperialism and a time when China was considered strong and at it's influential/cultural peak, or the whole WWII era with heroic resistance fighters bravely fighting the Japanese war machine with all the stereotypes you can think of. I do think that people are heavily influenced by the society and values which surround them, and patriotism and nationalism go hand in hand. Reason is cute and all but is surprisingly rare and, unfortunately, by definition the less vocal voice.
I wish I could think that way, but I would say it is more of an indoctrination than cultural problem. It seems that they have been brainwashed into thinking that the Chinese are a superior race, and any Chinese who doesn't side with China is automatically a traitor or a foreign dog.

Quote:
Saintess I'm curious, if asked would you refer to yourself as a Chinese or Singaporean? Judging from the similar protests in America, integration isn't something that happens quickly or easily however many generations have passed. How far does it go?
Integration here is pretty into it because all of us guys serve NS - we mix with almost everyone else from another race and literally eat, sleep, bathe and suffer for 2 years together. Although there are a few isolated cases of "racism" (an all Malay gang beating up two Chinese guys for staring, all Singapore citizens), we do actually get along fine.

And like the general sentiment of HK, TW, IDN, PH and MY Chinese, we don't exactly like mainlanders because they bring their culture of hardcore darwinism here and expect us to follow as "China is a whole lot fucking bigger than your little speck on Earth".

And who would I refer myself as? I'll just quote Bruce Lee when asked if he sees himself as a Chinese or American :

Quote:
As a human being.
Though in this case I feel that blasting these greedy assholes is a duty as a human being despite being removed multiple times.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote