View Single Post
Old 2013-05-08, 16:39   Link #91
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Since the abolishment of the Reputation system, I feel that the discussions - at least on those threads I frequent - have become noticeably less engaging. Several people who in my opinion wrote longer, well-thought-out postings in the past have either reduced their commitments or stopped posting altogether. The threads have become quieter, and with the exception of people heatedly debating with each other 1:1, the intensity has decreased. More 1-2 liner ditto posts.

(Then again, this is a subjective impression, I have no objective numbers to back up my claim)

Is this what the Board community wanted to achieve? If so, it was a full success. I'm not happy about it.
Hmm. If you've only noticed this with a handful of posters in a few select threads, maybe those posters have reduced their level of involvement for other reasons? Whether your impressions are correct or not is such a blurry issue that I have no strong feelings either way, but I have trouble imagining that disposing of the Reputation system would have such a significant impact. The majority of those who write long messages do so because they're passionate about the subject and like discussing it, or just enjoy writing, with positive reputations generally just a nice bonus. The Reputation system has also been gone long enough that it's probably reached 'out of sight, out of mind' territory for most people.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote