View Single Post
Old 2015-02-06, 10:20   Link #37
laon
Hantai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROzess View Post
I think the game localisation is the worst in that regard. I have played various games with the original Japanese sound, but the subtitles sometimes told an entirely different tale. Especially for common phrases or battle shouts. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese anymore. Well, I ain't saying this is a bad thing, translating means to ADOPT the meaning in a different language, not to replace it word-by-word.
Still, its pretty creepy when the stuff you hear is different from what you read.
Yeah, I've experienced this too from time to time. It's easy to notice in a game with dual audio option since you can hear the actual sentences they're saying but for novel and manga you're entrusting everything to the translator and editor. Though it's good to know that you, who is a person involved in novel/manga translators scenes, think that they're not as bad since I don't have the drive to recheck back most works that I've read in the past in Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
It's not really a bad thing, like Japanese and English are pretty different, Japanese is kinda terse and a lot of it is implicit, directly translated it reads pretty dry and repetitive esp for anime/gamess. I noticed that even in big games like FFs or stuff, where translators will constantly add stuff to elaborate, it kinda gives it a richness if it's done right.

The holy moe maid waifu is pretty funny and goes well with what I've seen of the game tbh. :P
So you're fine with deviating greatly from the original script as long as it's "funny" or "interesting". I hope you do realize that the people who's doing those localizations are often separate entities from the original creator, so in some way, it's a form of censorship which a lot of gamers seems to hate these days.

Not gonna argue on this though lol, this isn't the place for it.