View Single Post
Old 2009-03-29, 12:59   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Continued from ep 25 topic...

Let me add this point - I fully understand how some people might not care for Yui Horie as an actress. For me, Romi Paku is like a Sean Penn or Meryl Streep - someone who is able to lose themselves in a character so that you forget it's acting. From a range as wide as Kumormitsu in "Kurozuka" to Taiga in "Major" she becomes the role - woman or boy, it doesn't matter. Yui Horie is more of a personal pleasure - like a young Jack Nicholson or Katherine Hepburn. She's demonstrably herself in every role, so you pretty much have to like who that is. But I also think she finds different places in these characters so that they all live as individuals - from her bravura Ayu in "Kanon" to "Toradora" to Honda in "Fruits Basket", each is very much their own person.

I just don't get that from Kugimiya Rie. I don't expect Romi Paku, but I don't get anywhere near the emotional layering that I get from Yui. Instead of Nicholson, I get Adam Sandler. She's found a persona that works, and she plays it to the hilt. If the overall material is well-written and the premise tones her worst impulses down a little (Toradora, Shana) it's tolerable. If she's allowed to vamp it up and the writers play it as little more than a personal showcase for her stereotypical antics (HnG, ZnT - season 2 especially) it's gag-worthy.