View Single Post
Old 2011-02-19, 18:17   Link #3019
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Nowadays, many anime viewers are spoiled by modern artwork/animation. Anything that looks remotely old/dated is rejected by them. They concentrate too much on the aesthetics and not enough on the substance of the show. It's a real pity, because that's a poor way of analyzing the quality of a series.

Also, anything that looks "eccentric" isn't appreciated as much. One Piece is a perfect example.
Indeed, as I said in my last post, even though older anime is less consistent and polished I personally (on top of what you said) like animation from that time period better because it actually felt a bit more like actual art (to me). I think one can draw parallels between this subject and the appeal of old vs. new video games as well. The only old anime I've ever tried to get people to watch is Maison Ikkoku, which is only a few years older than me but most everyone is turned off by the art. It's silly because the art is of marginal importance and even then why does it have to be of perfect quality to be appreciated? For instance it may not be as shiny and polished as modern anime, but the artists in that series were phenomenal at animating subtle facial expressions that added another element of realism.

In the case of Dragonball, I just think the art has a very unique appeal that I've always associated with the show. So there might be some nostalgia goggling involved, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I really just can't stomach the modern animation they show sometimes in the stills, undoubtedly superior in quality but alien and 'soulless' in their feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The different animation teams that worked on the episodes of DBZ worked quite well, though they kinda clash together in Kai because we're seeing two episodes in one most of the time. I'm surprised it hasn't bothered me at all, though i wouldn't be surprised how many people would bring that issue up.
Well in my case, I've definitely noticed it but I really could care less, as the above part of my post explains.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote