View Single Post
Old 2011-11-22, 07:06   Link #96
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Ikuhara never complained about shipping. What he dislikes is how the otaku idolize the characters and live submerged in fantasy. That's why he asked Anno to have Rei growing older and getting pregnant at the end of EVA. That would shatter the otaku's fantasy of seeing her eternally pure.

Ikuhara did say he feel some times the romance distracts the audience from the point the story's trying to make. But that doesn't mean he dislikes romance per se. For instance, the romance in the Utena movie is pretty prominent, and the movie still manage to make its point clear and it has a happy ending to boot.
Isn't that a roundabout complain against fan shipping? And i don't think there is such dominant on heterosexual romance in Utena. Mostly just as plot device in fact

In the end it's just some twists of words from 'audiences being distracted from the story due to all of the heterosexual romance' to 'the heterosexual romances distracted the audiences from the story'. His exact quote was something like this:
Quote:
In reality, if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show. And that would be an interesting element, but I wouldn't want that to make that the scene-stealer of the show. Most other shoujo shows are in that direction. It's about who-and-who are getting together, or who-and-who are breaking up. I thought it would be a loss if that would be the big motif just because a girl was the main character. I think there could be more shows with other motives than that.