View Single Post
Old 2011-08-23, 11:30   Link #985
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I'll be honest and say I've not got a clue what ripbot based the preset profiles on originally!

Looking into what it's profile entails, Ripbot says it's using these settings for the profile (obviously with your chosen CRF value)
Quote:
--level 4.0 --aud --nal-hrd vbr --vbv-bufsize 25000 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-adapt 1 --b-pyramid none --subme 7 --aq-mode 1 --trellis 1 --partitions all --me umh
Not sure if that looks any closer to a known profile, or like a reasonable one at that, mind you!

Edit: Looking up the x264 various wikis, I'm presuming based on the Wiki, for my purposes of archiving (although not 1:1) without 100% focus on filesize, I'd be best to look at the "medium, slow, slower, veryslow, placebo" set of presets, perhaps with the --animation tag applied?

Command line something along the lines of "\x264_x64.exe --preset slow --tune animation --crf 16.5 -o <output file.h264/mkv> <input file>"
Perhaps with a --level 4.1 flag as well?

Doing this with a 256MB test file, once it'd been remuxed on the other side ended up with an output file of circa 88MB which is a pretty decent reduction, by contrast Ripbot's output was larger at about 113MB, with a higher bitrate. Now I'm not entirely sure if thats waste or going to any use!

Cheers for the assistance, Fluff, I figured it'd be best to ask about this sort of stuff, than sit there and either do something extremely stupid or realise after spending ages re-encoding a load of bits that the way it was done didn't quite cut the mustard, I've not got a bad system but this still takes a while hehe
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2011-08-23 at 15:00.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote