View Single Post
Old 2007-04-28, 07:27   Link #184
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
[Akari] was talking about how she has her own brand of obsessive fans, and "lolicon" was not said with endearment in mind. She was being condescending and rude to her own fanbase (and indirectly, the fanbase in general), with an intent to insult.
I wonder if she posts on Mixi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Lolicon and pedophile may be two different words, but they are pretty similar. ... Pedophile would be a perfectly acceptable word to replace it with ... since it is the english word closest to what Lolicon means short of using "lolita complex" which would be awkward in any translation.
Slightly OT, but "lolita" can also be used with a very different meaning in Japan. Do the Japanese ever refer to the dirty-raincoat variety as "lolita", or do they reserve "loli" for that? I once saw a sign reading 「ロリ・コーナー」 in a Toranoana store, though unfortunately not soon enough to prevent my eyes burning...

Anyway, ep3:

Am I the only one who immediately thought "Haruhi reference" during this dialogue?

Kagami: But I have a feeling that anyone would look good with a ponytail.
Konata: Are you sure about that?

I'm probably reading too much into it (in fact does this bit in the manga predate SHnY?), but just the way Konata paused seemed significant. Unless it was an "anyone except you, Kagami-chan" sort of pause.

I also cracked up at Konata's impassioned speech about not defiling your anime collectibles by using them - not least because I've just been sorting out my collection of pretty-but-useless Japanese phonecards. The dramatic BGM during her speech just makes it funnier.

Finally, I love Konata's voice during the "I'm a geek" bit - the combination of Hirano's intonation and the slight echo they add has me going back and replaying it with my eyes closed. And don't get me started on the "victory sound" she makes during this scene:

Spoiler for ep3 17:44:

Excuse me while I squee