View Single Post
Old 2009-05-20, 09:19   Link #70
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka
One of my main gripes with Felli was her constant Layfonism, outside of her obsession with Layfon, what else does she have in her mind? Her volatile relationship with her brother and defiance to being used as a weapon could have been interesting, but let's be honest here, the anime has done very little to tackle that. She's just there to be... cute and a token love interest, and that's simply not a very fascinating place to be.

I'm still hoping things would change, that the show would stop making her whole world revolve around some guy, but considering it has already been 19 episodes, some doubts are completely unavoidable.

And, no, before some overzealous Felli-fan come ripping my throat, I was not criticizing her effectiveness in battle; she's a godsue, nothing more to say about that. Her reasons for using those powers are a different thing entirely. I have no problem with some selfishness on her part, especially with the whole ‘being used thing’, but when her only reason for fighting is for her twu wub, that sort of submissiveness is irksome and is in desperate need of some development.
I agree and this pretty much sums my views on her. She’s too devoted to Layfon. Some may see this as appalling while for some this is her main charm and attraction. A cold persone being pulled and attracted by somebody’s kindness or ‘stupidity’ and revolve around him with developing in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie
but it's not worth getting personal over it as it's just a discussion where everyone chimes in with their two cents, and so far, things are looking pretty well-behaved. It's possible to discuss about Felli's traits without aggressively pulling other characters into it, as it appears you intend to diverge from the main point when you slander other characters in response to the criticisms. (You, as in general.)
Some people are defending Nina while downplaying Felli in the process. I’m doing just the same. In this particular issue when judging a character I haven’t drag any other characters into the pissing contest right until now. In some cases I agree about judging characters should not have drag other characters, but for the sake of valuing how the character is worth (like good or evil, useful or useless, lovely or an ass, badass or a wuss), sometimes comparisons are unavoidable.

I do however, agree about the ‘aggressive’ part, it is un-necessary and I apologize.

Edit: Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus
To start with, as long as someone can reflect on his mistakes and try to improve with good will, it enriches the character. In fact, this is pretty much the most commended type of character development. I never claim that Nina is perfect, it's not such a kind of anime. The lead ones are teenagers after all, they're interacting and evolving. I was uninterested in Layfon till he found his new path as well. After that, I came to like him even if he's more like chaotic good. That's why Felli rubs me the wrong way all around.
Ah, but Felli did change with her feats that I’ve stated earlier above. Like Nina, her character also grew though not perfect.

Quote:
arguably a lack of good teamwork and she wasn't as powerful back then
Okay.

Quote:
- And that's what caused Layfon to awaken. Had she not, buh-bye Czellni on ep 7. Not to mention that the most serious plot advancement till now as it set the lead's motivation.
She didn’t know about Layfon’s past back then. Had she known she would’ve contradict with him once again and probably threaten to expel all over again. Layfon would’ve been transferred directly under Kallian’s command. And in the anime… Layfon had awaken because she wanted to protect Meicchi and gang (ep 5, weird but true).

Quote:
Maybe it didn't serve the greater good, I'll accept that.
Okay.

Quote:
Yeah but ep 14 was practically Sharnid's 15 mins of fame and Layfon soloed pretty much everything else. It's not like she avoided anything based on what we saw, people kept telling "leave that to us!/me!" to her.
Yea I agree, but she contributes almost nothing in this point.

Quote:
Her mistake was to not postpone the match but that was to show Layfon that he shouldn't take all the burden on his shoulders anymore. A serious mistake, but out of goodwill.
Well the fact remains she consider him as a weapon back then. Though as you said she may regretted it and decide to change later on.

Quote:
She did overestimate her platoon though, I'll give you that.
Okay and if only she had listen to other people’s inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utramarinus
It was out of her control, Layfon barely avoided possession earlier. As I keep repeating, it wasn't her own will or choice for things to go that way. Haikizoku conveniently found someone with strong willpower and didn't miss the opportunity.
In other words she’s its her weakness. She’s not strong enough to confront the Haikizoku head on. But still she insisted eventhough it backfired on her.

Quote:
As much as Rambo is cool, the colonel both helps the plot to advance and a likable character. Regios setting is kinda like Vietnam war and Felli just doesn't suit it. Sharnid does, Dinn does, the president, even Meisshen does, because someone's gotta peel potatoes even in war. But you don't bring selfish princesses to Vietnam, it just feels wrong and out of place.
But in Rambo he is the show and even without a colonel he could’ve pwn left and right at will. And in Rambo 3 most of the time it’s the colonel’s ass that was being saved by Rambo remember? Now regarding Felli, in Regios, her ‘appearance’ doesn’t suit the Regios setting but her ‘functions’ does. An indispensable military assets with regards on surveillance and combat intelligence and one of the best in Zuellni. On this matter the Rambo’s setting isn’t suitable at all because of the lack of radar display. Maybe movies like the Hunt of Red October where sonar comes to mind.

Quote:
It also makes sense considering that she cannot abandon her duties and responsibilities as a commander and wail for a single squad member that apparently was expected to recover fast.
As I stated earlier, on this point she still considered him as a tool or weapon rather as a ‘friend’.

Last edited by TrueKnight; 2009-05-20 at 09:59.