View Single Post
Old 2010-01-24, 19:21   Link #30
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I looove Giant Killing and its cast (at least for now, who knows if my opinion changes once they focus on the sport), especially the quirky, rough quality of the artwork. I'm kinda skeptical of the upcoming anime though; it was the art that made me look into the series in the first place and it's not exactly conventionally aesthetically beautiful. Can't help you with the sports manga though, which is a big shame. I like Cross Game and Touch (can't say the same for Adachi's Q&A since it seems like a rehash of Cross Game except with a different sport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by upiro View Post
Is Pandora Hearts worth reading? I’ve read the first few chapters and the setting is interesting (and nicely gothic). But the angst ... !!! Haha, the characters are drowning in it. (Running out of stuff to read too :P)
Hahaha.

Nope. Melodrama, characters the author keeps on forcing the readers to symphatize despite its rushed and atrocious pacing, contrived plot... There are better ways to waste ones time. Check out Shut Hell, awful title I know. But it's intruiging for now and with better art. ES is completed and filled with compelling characters, although it too suffers from more telling instead of showing that other Fuyumi Souryo manga suffers from.

Have you read Nihei's Blame by the way? Or Kitoh's Bokurano and Narutaru?

Oh, and I know you mentioned before how you can't stomach Jiro Natsumoto's works, but I'd just like to say that Freesia has been getting some tumultous and vital development (it was a long time coming, but it's here at last) that is nothing short of cathartic. The sex has been toned down I think, the violence not so much, but it's not really as worse as most noir, faux-noir manga/anime out there.