View Single Post
Old 2013-03-10, 15:28   Link #196
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
No offense to Urobuchi fans, but I'm tired of people hyping Gargantia to be as depressing as Gen's other works. I mean, I liked Madoka Magica and I'm currently enjoying Psycho-Pass, but using grimdark elements in every work Gen is involved looked nice at first but gets overdone after a while. I want him to try something refreshing in Gargantia so that it'll break lines that Gen is unable to do, such as making it lighthearted. I really hope the interview he said for it doesn't end up something trollable like he did in Madoka Magica.
Well you can't help it if people expect this to be grimdark since that's pretty much been a major aspect of all his works so far. I'm not sure how using it all the time can make it overdone since that's just the way he writes in general. I think the thing about this show is that the trailer gave off a very adventurous feel which is a genre that tends to be mostly uplifting due to it's very nature, hence why people think this will start out uplifting (and hence why people are expecting an obvious troll). But you know after watching the second trailer, I'm starting to wonder myself if it's actually going to be all that adventurous.

But hey, who knows? Urobuchi has been switching between different genres for a while now, from mob crime, to straight up monster horror, to magical girls, to urban fantasy and now more recently political sci-fi. And it's interesting to note that with the latest transition into political sci-fi, his writing style has changed from writing characters with their own individual drama/issues/demons/identities, to characters and their relationship to society as a whole. That may just be for PsychoPass rather than a permanent change but it also shows his writing style can change depending on the genre. So maybe this won't be a troll after all.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote