View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 05:21   Link #1531
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Rebroadcasts occur all the time, but people don't ever find out about them because why would international audiences care? Most people here pirate it anyways. Guess which show was re-broadcast during winter? Hyouka. Guess which show will be re-broadcast starting next month? Nichijou. Both of those were advertised on the official site, yet neither of them have any chance of having more episodes made. Basically, just because ONE instance of something being called a "rebroadcast" happened to have new episodes doesn't mean that rule can be applied to EVERY SINGLE SHOW!
I really think you're over-reacting a little to my post there. I realise that the 2009 Haruhi broadcast was an exception and not the norm. I ain't trying to use it as a justification to blanket all other rebroadcasts. The fact that I mentioned it was "probably a little bit of a stretch" in the first place, shows even I wasn't taking the idea seriously at all. Said comment was made more in jest than anything, but due to the nature of internet I guess it didn't come across so well.

You do make a good point about how we don't often hear about rebroadcasts at all because the news normally get filtered out for us. I never realised they were as common as you make it out to be since productions committees usually fork out money for time slots and I'd assume they'd rather use it for newer material instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
This isn't viral marketing as saying "you'll be seeing more" without a set time line for use to see more. Said type of marketing always occurs for NEARLY EVERY SINGLE SHOW! How many threads start in the "upcoming anime" forum which have one page scans going "Anime confirmed!" and that's it? They can't give out any more information than this because there's no new news to give out! Again, just because one show had some viral marketing strategies does not mean that every single show is going to have those.
It's viral in the sense that they explicitly go out of their way to set up a guessing game, "Is it really a re-broadcast? Why would we even make a new promo artwork for a simple re-broadcasting?" (source). They know damn well whether it's going to be re-broadcast or not, yet they withhold that information and simply state "the contract continues" instead. The very ambiguity of it is what makes it viral, and they do it because they know that's what will get people talking. A simple title announcement I don't think would constitute as viral at all, but when you start being purposefully vague or doing things like making announcements of announcements....

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2013-03-28 at 06:09.