Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-12, 23:23   Link #2203
magnum12

I think who the detective is might vary by arc. I know Van Dyne's rules mandate the presence of a detective, but I don't think Knox says anything about it. Keiichi is never the detective. Mion and Shion are never the detective. I don't think Rika is the detective in any arc either (except MAYBE???) Minagoroshi-hen. This is just a guess, but the closest person to a detective in novels 1, 3 and 6 is Ooishi, and his role is minor. Akasaka is the detective in the 4th novel. The closest to detective's objectivity in Watanagashi-hen is Rena. Ooishi is also helpful in that arc as well.

On the whole, I'd say Higurashi is about as compliant with the concept of "fair play" mystery as Persona 4; i.e. some violations, but on the whole it seems to try to play fair by providing adequete clues and foreshadowing for the player to find the culprit. Yes, I know Persona 4 snaps Knox's 2nd in half, but the point is the same (the smoking gun in that series being found in October).

As per the theory I mentioned in spoilers for those interested.

Spoiler for spoilers for 8th novel:

A bit off topic, but I think we might have a way to find some answers to some of our unresolved questions. Apparently, R7 answers questions on his twitter page. If we have someone who's fluent in Japanese, perhaps we could have someone ask the questions as a representative to the anime suki community. Personally, I would just love to get some answers regarding HS (which I found to be a really cool yet absolutely scientifically plausible solution), and maybe find out if the theory above was correct or not. I wonder how R7 would react to said theory. Maybe even some of the questions that are currently ambiguous in terms of how they're interpreted.

Last edited by magnum12; 2013-06-13 at 00:02.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote