Thread: The last of us
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-07, 08:21   Link #218
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I watched Markiplier's videos too. The guy is hilarious, even if his aim sucks. He's still my favorite YouTuber. I watch his vids near-religiously. :XD:

But the end was a tough decision that I don't think any of us could say "I would do so-and-so" since we've never been in that situation (and hopefully never will be).

What I enjoyed most about The Last of Us was that it treated me like a goddamn adult and didn't hold my hand through the entire damn game. I was forced to think on my feet in most situations and, even on my second playthrough, was still challenging and fun. First time through I think I had the problems most people had - tons of ammo but I started to run out of molotovs and improvised bombs. Second time through I balanced my use of supplies vs. ammo better and wasn't so afraid to shiv clickers when I needed to. Both palythroughs I played stealthy except where I absolutely had to go loud and never really worried about my health. I had max healthkits at all times but hardly used them and ended up wishing I had saved my rags for more molotovs (molotovs I went through like a kid goes through candy on Halloween).

Honestly my only complaint about the game was that we didn't get to play as Ellie more. She was better with a bow and relied a lot more on weapons than melee combat (if there are enough bricks, bottles, and melee weapons lying around, Joel can just fisticuffs his way to victory). Some people didn't like it, but I liked how Ellie was neither as physically strong nor as resilient as Joel, so it presented a unique challenge to make your shots count (the 3-shot rifle made me drool a bit) and to not get hit. Attempting to go Rambo and punch my way to victory when you're surrounded by zombies can work with Joel, but Ellie can't take nearly as many hits so trying to melee is akin to committing suicide.

Needless to say, this has been one of the best games I've played in a LONG time. I love a mature story that has truly human moments in it. It also showed the perspective of individuals who were not a superheroes or anything special, but people who simply wanted to protect what mattered to them. In my humble opinion the game deserves all the high praise it's been getting, from gamers and critics alike. It's not often that a game puts story and characterization first. The other great elements of the game (such as the phenomenal graphics considering it was on a PS3) are simply icing on the cake.

I'm going to have to take my cousin out for dinner or something for him letting me borrow his PS3 and this awesome game. It was that good.