View Single Post
Old 2008-10-22, 14:35   Link #2166
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Probably this one will suit to your purpose. The charms are of Kawasaki Daishi, a temple strongly oriented to mystic and magical aspects of Buddhism (so-called Mikkyou). The right one is for saving disasters, the middle is to protect you from theft and fire. The characters thereupon are mixture of kanji and Sanskrit.

Since Japanese people have developed a magnanimous syncretism of various elements from various religions (native-Japanese, Chinese and Indian etc), it has little significance in most cases to define rigidly which religion the matter is. However, there exist certain distinct points in the appearances from one religion to another. You should decide first what you are going to draw: Shinto or Buddhism at least, each of which holds a number of sects in it. If you write a Shinto priestess writing Sanskrit I would be perplexed.
A lose but specific enough charm is what I am going for, protecting from disasters peeks mew interests. While what I wish to use it for is non related to anything specific having that tiny additional bit of detail to it makes it that much better IMO. Layer the details and make a grand base for what you are making.

*dig dig*
Here's what I have for Runes and arcanic text in my lil world

"Runes and arcane languages carry influence and power with them. This power can be refined, extracted and focused using materials to write them, when applied to the device you can program its function and you can fold the writings into the device layer by layer these writings adhere to not just the item they are applied to enhance or loosen its dimensional make allow various types of energies to flow into it allowing it to do whatever its defined task is. Some even have shifting runes as more power and control is needed for its various task as the item grows in power layers of text comes to the surface."

Yes I know it sucks grammar aint my thing :P

And now I get to write out how he came across it!! what fun!!
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote