View Single Post
Old 2007-08-14, 10:49   Link #98
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
But most English-native people would automatically expect to pronounce that as /'shu:nen/, /'tu:kyu:/, /u:sɑˈkɑ/, and even if they are used to that spelling, I'm fairly sure the English impulse to pronounce those "oo" as /u:/, instead of the long oh sound, is quite stronger. I wouldn't know much, since I'm not English native myself (and according to my language, that notation makes quite a lot of sense)... however, whenever I see "Tookyoo" I get the distinct impression I should pronounce /u:/ instead of long oh.
To the same degree that english speakers will mispronounce "shine!" (die!) as the english word "shine". For that matter, english speakers not used to roomaji will mispronounce just about everything, and even those trained in japanese will still have a very hard time pronouncing the vowel "o" correctly (or even realizing that they aren't already doing so). So I think that this point isn't particularly relevant.

Quote:
I feel "ō" is a far better choice.
Like I've said, that has its own set of problems when it comes to karaoke.

Quote:
(BTW, in the case of "Oosaka", it's technically correct to write the Hepburn v3 romanization, since 大阪 = おおさか).
It's technically correct to write "Tookyoo" too. Just different romanization systems. Of course, "Ousaka" isn't right in ANY romanization system, but, then again, "Toukyou" isn't right in any official romanization system, either.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote