View Single Post
Old 2013-11-04, 01:00   Link #1781
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I have already said in an early post that maybe we should go be to using SDO only and not have a necklace match. In fact, you quoted this very same post later and chose to ignore my comment...?
Might as well scrap the necklace matches altogether since it's clear from recent results that by using SDO the matches are getting predictable (highest SDO = strongest), which defeats the purpose of spicing up matches that the necklace matches were for in the first place.

If you truly want to spice up the matches, the only way is by a fair showdown, and nothing more. The way SDO does it now can hardly be called fair.

Quote:
Now you're getting to meat of the discussion. Triple_R doesn't want SDO to have any influence in the necklace match. What we really want to discuss, however, is perhaps a system that's not easy to manipulate to be applied to the necklace match, but still understandable to people without stat majors. I'm glad someone knows what we're trying for.
I don't really see much problem with manipulating if the fanbase is that dedicated, actually. Legit upsets in real life cause people to look at the underdog winner in awe, not with hatred. Of course, I know others do see a problem, so best way to go about doing it is have others accept that said dedication is genuine, and it should be fine. If they can keep it up consistently then it'll be acceptable for them since those dedicated fans have proven it to be genuine.

Due to the complexity of SDO, manipulating SDO has had a lot more repercussions than manipulating VD alone. The effect of manipulating SDO by a certain successful fanbase ends up being greater than manipulating things like VD by the same fanbase. In the end, the manipulation of SDO has been proven to be at least as damaging, if not more so, than that of VD.

Quote:
This is false. SDO was created as a tiebreaker to go before VF. Then the necklace match was created, and SDO was applied to encourage people to not ignore the regular season matches.
OK, good. Now I know everything. Hopefully.

How about setting criteria as to who can vote in necklace matches? You can only vote for characters you have voted at least once for in the period. Or you must have cast a total of X votes in that period or something. Or both.

Low vote count (where people don't vote for her) is not always a bad thing. It shows that the girl in question is weak, and that just by being in the running for ISML alone, she's punching above her weight. Nothing wrong about that. And if she does pull off an upset? Nothing wrong with people liking the underdog, right? "An underdog that needs protection = moe" is legit.

Also, there are also those who do not ignore the regular season matches. It's just that, they manipulate the matches. If you encourage people to not ignore regular season matches, these guys will be sure to show up, sometimes regardless of the encouragement or lack thereof, but more likely to spite SDO. Which one will you prefer? (In short, any rule made to encourage people to vote regularly causes the tournament to get more susceptible to manipulation. Before I go on, I'd like to verify this with you.)

Quote:
Another thing I have to tell you is that when we created the rules, we have considered many things, including talking to death the possibility of using SDO as eligibility only. The staff unanimously agrees that this watered down definition of a period necklace is not what we're aiming for when we created the necklace.
Very well. I'll need the reiteration of the definition of a "period necklace", as well as the mechanism of the SDO (so that I can find its flaws) before I can truly formulate anything.

Also, seeing that you have a B.S. in Mathematics (though not in pure Statistics, it'll have to do; my university has separate degrees for Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Statistics lol), what is the median SDO handicap due to seeding?

Quote:
Please don't assume you know how ISML staff works. It's basically maglor playing devil's advocate for everything. While this makes discussions very long, it means they are thought out.
Then, a question. Does the ISML staff know how real-life leagues and competitions work? Because while I now understand your rationales behind your decisions (including SDO), it seems like actual knowledge in how real-life leagues and competitions work is lacking, if RegalStar's posts are of any indication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
With the 2 divisions, going back to just purely SDO would be even worse than it was before .
OTOH, SDO + 1-on-1 is perfectly fine, yes? SDO only needs to determine who gets to participate in the 1-on-1.

Speaking of which, I'd prefer having an even number instead of the current 7 contestants for a necklace match.

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.