View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 03:26   Link #670
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I find this rhetoric amusing because people like me accuse them of exactly the opposite, that they have no guts and only do what they're comfortable with (E8 debacle aside, I mean they were out of their minds to do that...).

Regardless, KyoAni has built a reputation that has earned them a certain level of expectation, so with that comes more scrutiny. If this were just another studio, many of us would have shrugged it off and probably dropped it. You could say their ability to perform is what may keep many people around rather than the actual merits of the work, which for me are nonexistent.
Sure, further scrutiny's always productive if done correctly. I do generally agree with the reviews of yours that I've read, so I'm actually curious to see what the takes are as the show evolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
Sure there are hipsters out there who tend to hate anything that's popular but watching the first episode is it really hard to believe that a lot of people find the first episode boring?
Not exactly, but I myself am a little surprised. From my perspective, I actually got into it and was doing my thing of getting invested into the "mystery", no matter how small it was. The awesome visuals were just the icing on the cake, and I was convinced that the "boring" characters will have plenty of time to evolve. Baccano, Durarara, Lucky Star, Minami-ke and (let's face it, even Monogatari series) are just a few of the examples were many characters start off with almost nothing to go on with. They talk, and they talk. You know the VAs, but the characters aren't established. It's after a number of episodes that the story melds with what the characters say and how they act, and that's when they'll cease to be "boring". I say don't worry, there ain't no way they're staying here.

So basically, I can definitely respect how many people think the first episode might have been boring, but I'm thinking nobody should speculate what the overall series is going to feel like. That's rule number 1 in the book of no-nos in reviewing and fair judgment.