View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 05:47   Link #673
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
People are just harsh about this show because its KyoAni and its popular. People tend to be more analytic and skeptic because they don't wanna sound stupid and go along with the hype this show has. Or maybe they're just sour that they're not doing KEY anymore.

Kyoani will never get a break. People always tell Kyoani to be more ambitious but I actually like the guts of Kyoani to do what they like to do. In a way they're very masturbatory. After K-ON and CLANNAD, they've been doing relatively obscure shows (that unfortunately has the same genre as what they've always been doing) like Nichijou and this. Heck while I hated the whole Endless 8 debacle, I like the guts that they actually made it.

Or maybe I'm just turning everything people are saying around and its kinda weird to say that they have guts to sticking to their guns but I guess that's how I interpret it.
Now that's a first. Kyoani getting really harsh criticism and not getting a break? Well, they are popular and thus it would be unavoidable but it's hardly unique to them. Every time JC Staff and Deen (the later is somewhat deserved), people are ready to shit on them. Or how about Sunrise? People always shit on them whenever possible. Gundam Age got shit on immediately as it aired, and just as recently, Accel World had its discussion being bogged down by the main character being a deformed fatty. And let's not forgot Horizon whatever.

It's funny, because I coined the term "Kyoani Exceptionalism", which means to me Kyoani gets praised for mundane things that other studios are expected to do. At the very least, there's always a ton of praise tossed at the studio regardless of show as a minimum. So don't blame me if I don't feel sorry for all that mean criticism. Then again, much like Shaft, they make too much to care so i wouldn't worry about their feelings. And funny you said masturbatory, as I thought of Shaft too. Personally, when I feel either is doing it, I just roll my eyes.

And what else do I feel personally? Well, two years ago they were hot shit and your words would have made sense to me. These days I just can't feel the hype any more. I didn't even have this in my watching list til someone who will remain unnamed told me it was airing and to watch it. (though I will hint their name has a "K" in it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Endless Eight feedback is going to haunt them till the end of the world, isn't it?

ADD] I always found it interesting how one can relate the fan-rage from Endless Eight with what happens in Endless Eight. We experienced it only eight times, over a course of eight weeks, and it damn near made a lot of folks froth at the mouth and sacrifice babies. It really enhances the sympathetic plight of Yuki in that arc.

Heh.
Well, it is only 8 times, but given how little content there was: 8 / 14 = 0.57 (over half) becomes a significant factor. So relatively speaking there was little content, and even as a whole 8/28+ 1 movie really makes me feel I can't blame fans for not liking it. Actually it just shows you how sparse Haruhi is, over the course of what? like 6 years? Perhaps "The Cockblock of Haruhi Suzumiya" summarizes Kyoani's handling of it the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
I've looked up on a lot of blogs reviewing this show and I'd have to have say that there's more positive response than negative ones.

Furthermore hate is such a strong word. Finding the episode boring(because it really is) does not equate to hate.
Yea, but that causes its own set of problems. Feeling nothing about something causes it to be forgotten about. It may actually be the worst, a sort of limbo that causes apathy. I mean, parts of Hana Saku Iroha and Umineko were stupid and sometimes even downright insulting but I'd always tune in every week to laugh at whatever silly thing they came up with which made the whole experience quite enjoyable.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-25 at 06:07.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote