Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-22, 03:01   Link #1462
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
So I was a little amused (and a bit frustrated) that Steel Panthers won't allow me to make a proper scenario that matches the St. Gloriana and Saunders battles. The reason is that the PzKpfw IV D is no longer available after 1942 for some reason, while both the Churchill Mk VIII and the Sherman Firefly can only be in a 1944 or later battle. I would have to mess with the game's OOB files to make it "historically correct" or make do with the IV F or H variants.
Historical accuracy is enforced even in the scenario creator? That's pretty harsh. On the other hand, that screen shot is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing what happened with Mako. She's normally so deadpan and disinterested that to have something break that is intriguing, but a desperate situation in the family is much more personal and serious than the sport, though I think the show's writers will be able to find a balance such that Mako won't lose her grandmother or her school. I can't see Team the Main Characters advancing with just three people. They need everyone there.
I think that it's more that the creators have a understanding of what kind of appeal their show holds, and that they have no intention of messing with that. Whatever drama exists seems purely to justify a bit of characterization, not as a real obstacle. Almost everything else in Girls und Panzer is tank related. Besides, the Italian episode has all the hallmarks of a comedy break, and you wouldn't mix heavy drama into that.

I think the Saunders girls got a lot of cool characterization. It's quite impressive since they were in combat almost the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The random thought that occurred to me was that the first-year team did a lot better in this match than they did in both the "learn as you go" school match (where they tried to run away and threw a track) and in the friendly match with St. Gloriana (where they bailed out). This time they held up under fire and got in a few shots of their own. But they still got knocked out. I wonder if they're going to be the goat of a running gag of somehow being disabled in every match, or if they'll manage to get better as they go.
They weren't the goat in the Saunders match at all - getting knocked out by a Firefly bring no shame. Sure their greeness still makes them panic, but they were far more capable this time around, just as the overall team cohesion has been higher. I imagine that they'll do much better against Anzio since Ooarai should have superior tanks for the first time. Maybe even the Type 89 can do some damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Narratively, the script writers can't afford to let the Brits fight on screen again as they already got their own episode in the Friendly. So it is clear they shoehorned in the Firefly for Saunders in order to give it screentime.

The firefly was too powerful for the friendly match when the protagonists were even less skilled than they are now.
This mirrors my thoughts on the matter. I think that they also didn't want to put the Firefly with the British tanks since most people don't associate Shermans with the British Army.