View Single Post
Old 2010-10-05, 00:19   Link #1287
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

SO Wingdarkness brings up McNabbs innaccuracy again (in my opinion its not as consistently bad as he likes to make it seem) and while there is truth to the claim I must say that those passing problems are hardly an excuse for getting rid of him. The bottom line is he was the best choice to keep at QB and the your best chance at making the superbowl.

I still can't comprehend how you can get rid of someone with stats like this (excluding his rookie season)...

* In 112 regular season games, McNabb has an impressive record of 71-35.

* The second best touchdown to interception ratio (2.1)---ever.

* Least-intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time, (4588 attempts-96 interceptions, 2.09%)

* Currently the third-highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks behind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady

* Led the Eagles to the playoffs in 7 of his 9 years as quarterback

* His never lost a first round playoff game

* Has more passing yards and touchdowns then any other Eagles quarterback ever

People who criticize McNabb point to the same things: accuracy, injuries, his smug attitude, and his inability to win the big game. To those people, I think they need to look closer at McNabb's career a little closer.

* McNabb has started 30 of the last 32 Eagles games, and for his career, has started 85% of Eagles games played (since his was drafted)

* Has completed over 57 percent of his passes every year but 1 (his rookie year).

* McNabb is within 5 percentage points, in terms of career completion percentage, of all of these "elite" quarterbacks : Peyton Manning, Tom. Brady, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner

* Dan Marino's completion percentage: 59.4. McNabb's? 58.9

* He has a higher career completion percentage then John Elway, and is 41rst overall in career completion percentage, out of 219 players.

* McNabb has only thrown over 10 interceptions in a season 4 times out of his 10 seasons. In contrast, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Mannin, Tony Romo and John Elway have all thrown over 10 interceptions all but 1 of the seasons they played.

* In 14 playoff games, McNabb is 9-5, for a winning percentage of 64. Compared to other quarterbacks, Peyton Manning (46%), Brett Favre (54%), and John Elway (63%), that is an impressive figure.

* Ok, he lost the Super Bowl. But that was 1 game, facing a dynasty team. And he did throw 3 interceptions, but he also threw for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns.

So in comparison to other quarterbacks, its not fair to say he is a horribly inaccurate passer, or that he gets hurt all of the time. If he is a horrible passer, at a 58 percent completion, what does that make Elway? An awful passer? What does that make Joe Montana (63% comp.)? A marginal passer? Its not fair to slam McNabb for being inaccurate, then praise Manning, Elway, or Montana for being one of the best passers ever, when there completion numbers are comparable.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote