Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 07:49   Link #1117
Mentar
Banned

I'm really really sorry, and I never expected this too happen, but this is *drop* for me. Because I like the original too much, and unfortunately, this anime doesn't work for me. It reduces the wonderful story and characters to hurried sketches and lifeless shadows. 12 episodes is just too little to properly do it.

o The story has removed 90% of the humorous small banter between the characters which has an important task: It makes me like them and care for them.

o Stripping important context completely messes up the characters. Take the scene where Female Knight cuts the sword to pieces: In the original, she only does this to teach the youngsters a lesson who openly rebelled against having a mere girl train them. In the anime, she looks like an idle braggart, because the context was completely omitted.

o Demon Queen is off. Where are her self-doubts and worries? Hero is off. A particularly wimpy version. Female Knight is completely off. Where is her positive disposition and humor? Big sister maid is off. She wants to run and fight? Are you kidding me?? Having prior knowledge of the material hurts, because what I know (and hold dear) is incompatible with the anime version. Not knowing the show might be much better.

o Completely omitting the Hero's efforts as Dark Knight? Seriously? By stripping this, they fail to make the viewers understand the nature of the demon world.

Sorry. This one is a failing grade for me, because I don't want this anime to pollute my own impression of the MaoYuuverse any more. I hope that in 3-4 years someone competent with a proper budget and at least 2 seasons makes another attempt.

With a heavy heart: *Drop*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote