View Single Post
Old 2013-06-02, 15:22   Link #32400
Prototype909

So, been awhile since I posted in here but has anyone taken the time to discuss the form in which the meta-world exists recently?

Last I checked it was basically in (somewhat) agreement that the meta-world is basically up for interpretation, yet some things are basically either set in stone or at bare minimum agreed on within some basic level of understanding.

Things such as -

1) Regardless of what it actually exists as, the meta-world likely (If not certainly) is not something written within the "Episodes" that make up the actual forgeries that exist in the "Reality"/Prime of Umineko.

2) At some level the meta-world is depicting the metaphorical struggle within Tohya/Ange and other characters (Like the theory that Will is the author of Lion and Bern is representing the fandom who doesn't want there to be a happy "fantasy" in the Umineko Saga).

So with that established what it basically comes down to (Or rather came down to) last time I came here was whether or not you believe the meta- is solely metaphor for Tohya/Ange/Etc.'s mental state and inner discussions/conflicts or whether it's that in addition to some sort of meta-physical plane of existence where ideas from Prime somehow take form as "people". People have brought up how a theory like this could be considered supported by Forgery No. XXX depending on how valid you want to consider it.

It's important to note that this isn't saying "Prime is reality and the meta-world is just the metaphorical representation of ramblings of some insane amnesiac and his suicidal sister, along with characters from the fan-fiction a bunch of other dudes wrote about because why not" or "Prime is reality which is governed by the meta-world" but rather saying that both of these things can cause and influence one another at the same time.

Without prime/boards/forgeries the meta-world has no context for existing and no reason to even be there, but without the meta-world nothing in Umineko makes much sense or has any real emotional value.

Of course if you subscribe to the "meta is a reality somewhere" theory you still run into problems such as "Why do the rules and character focuses keep changing throughout each episode" which I'm not sure how to reconcile, but I'm sure someone has thought of it.
Prototype909 is offline   Reply With Quote