Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 03:17   Link #11292
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Then those are the issues that need to be addressed, without violating the rights of citizens of the united states.
Rights are what the people as a whole agree they are. They're subject to change.

Quote:
JAMA did a study on the effectiveness of the Brady Law a few years back.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/284/5/585.full

They determined that the only positive effect was that men 55 years or older were less likely to use a firearm for suicide.
The general decline in homicide rate had already begun prior to 1985 and were downtrending without any new gun control laws.
Thus the effect of the Brady law on crime was nil.
Therefore, why do we as US citizens still have to go through the Brady background check if its effect on preventing criminals from acquiring guns is nil?
The study also factored in secondary sales by non-FFL holders, which only adds to the fact that all gun control laws are useless due to the sheer number of firearms in private hands.
In Colorado, and other states, laws have been enacted that require all private sales to go through a licensed gun-dealer.
Do people obey these laws?

No you can't.
That kind of slippery slope argument is illogical because murder requires an action against another person and you should know better than to compare owning a gun to committing murder.
Stop with the logical fallacies already.
How is it a fallacy? I'm making the point that "laws that aren't universally obeyed are useless and shouldn't exist" isn't a very good argument. The content of the law in question doesn't matter.

Quote:
The point was that France actually exceeded the US in overall crime per capita in 2002, even though it has only 1/8th the homicides of the US.
But then again, France doesn't exactly have the gang culture of the United States either.
My point is simple, gun control doesn't deter violent crime, nor does it prevent murder.
Therefore, in a country with a protected right to bear arms, how can any gun control law be justified?
It's not like it even helps stop violent crime, it simply has no effect.
France is more violent, but has eight times fewer violent deaths. I can totally see that as an incentive to get more guns in the situation.

Quote:
No actually violent crime is in decline overall.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/20/...ics/index.html
I meant in France. You know, the example you brought up?