View Single Post
Old 2009-06-15, 16:20   Link #61
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
relentlessflame, we already had this argument many times before - I am aware of the importance of companies behind the studios, but differently from you I believe that a good studio with a good team can pull a good result as companies cannot tell thing by thing, step by step how to animate things (or else studios would not need a bigger half of their workers).
But what is the main issue here? Is it really "execution" or is it style? You seem more upset that they produced a fanservice-biased show that went light on plot and deviated significantly from the novels. Is that really about the "execution" of the anime (which J.C.Staff managed) or is that about the tone and style of the anime, which were determined by the production committee in working with the Director and Story Planner (who do not work for J.C.Staff)? Production companies handle execution of the vision, but they're not usually responsible for the vision itself, and I think that's where the bigger problem is according to what you're complaining about.

Quote:
So yeah while the direction is given the interpretation and presentation is still up to the Studio and the team that works. Even you yourself have to admit the difference between season 1 and season's 2 and 3. The first season never got that many complaints from novel readers even though it did not follow the novels all that well, but the presentation was satisfying.

It all came down to dust with season's 2 and 3 that are poorly executed turning ZnT into a string of S/M themed and repetitive boob jokes, so much that even the actual plotline becomes very hard to notice.
Honestly, I didn't think it was as big of a change as you make it out to be. It felt to me as though seasons 2 and 3 were largely continuing in the same style as season 1. The difference, perhaps, is that the jokes were recycled and the "novelty" had worn off a little bit. They also kept the Louise/Saito relationship in a bit of a yoyo-state with sort of "three steps forward, two steps back" in order to drag things out a bit. But I didn't notice a remarkable change in either quality, or tone, or style. The first season was fanservicey with a plot, and the subsequent seasons were also fanservicey with a plot (though they had to up the ante on the fanservice a bit to not be too repetitive). I do think the first season is probably the best simply because it was the first, and the second two feel more like extensions than complete works on their own, but that's sort of the typical law of sequels. So I guess I'd rather them "slightly below" but not dramatically so. Even the series ratings in thread like this one reflect that - it's lower, but not so much lower.

Quote:
As for 4th season and my doubts... One reason that though sells are good enough they are still dropping and compared to such anime's like Shana where things looks better than for ZnT, ZnT may be pushed further and further into preference to be continued line.
The drop-off for ZnT was no more or less dramatic than the drop-off for Shana in terms of percentage, so I don't see it as being any more or less likely, personally. But who knows... I do think that, if they do another season, they are going to change it up a bit and/or move towards a grand finale. Perhaps they're waiting for the novels to near the ending so they can wrap both up at once? And if they don't do any more, the third season wrapped up in a pretty decent manner (for anime-only viewers, anyway).