View Single Post
Old 2010-12-21, 15:29   Link #157
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
FWIW, I don't think that's quite why he was upset. It seems to me he was upset that she waited all this time to tell him and was still acting in that moment like she didn't believe he would actually care, when the truth is that he cared deeply about it.
That was no doubt a factor, but I guess that I just classify part of that (her acting in that moment like she didn't believe he would actually care) as her being tsun.

It's certainly true, though, that the simple fact that he was kept in the dark for so long played a role here.

One thing that maybe I should make clear: Part of the reason why I'm interpreting this episode (and this anime) the way that I am, is that contrary interpretations would leave me feeling more or less like Nukerjsr does. All of this would seem like a colossal waste of time to me if the female lead doesn't go through meaningful character development.

I just don't find this overall narrative satisfying if I didn't believe that the two leads developed, and developed significantly, over the course of the anime. Also, my favorite tsundere type is the classic type - the one that moves mostly from tsuntsun to deredere over the course of the story.

I wrote a short blog entry on "The Degradation of the Term Tsundere" over a year ago, and while my understanding of the term has changed slightly since then, I think that this blog entry still sums up what I like, and don't like, about tsunderes (and how the term itself is applied to characters).

Quote:
It was like she was telling him as an afterthought (everyone else already knew), and with it being only hours before she left he had no room to react. He thought they had a better understanding than that, but now he thinks that it was all in his head again.
That makes sense, yes.

Quote:
When her real feelings finally came out due to the game, then he finally realized why it was she was telling him this... but it was still unfair. Saying "don't go" in that situation, even if he was feeling it... not easy, even for a humble person.
Agreed. What she did to him in that scene really wasn't fair, for many reasons. For one thing, it really is a great opportunity for her, if she intends to pursue athletic endeavors seriously. If I was Kyousuke, I don't think that I'd want to be the reason why my sister passed up on something like that.

In fact - after reading Nukerjsr' take on this episode, I have to admit that the whole thing is rather heavy-handed, a bit forced, and unrealistic. I don't think that even the anime itself really fully conveyed just how big a deal it was for Kirino to turn this trip to America down, especially at this incredibly late juncture.

Quote:

So... I guess you could lump the whole thing under "Kirino being tsun" and "Kyousuke being annoyed that Kirino was being tsun"... but that becomes a mighty big catch-all for an awful lot of diverse and complicated behaviour. It's not like "dere" is "nice and honest", and "tsun" is "everything else Kirino does that isn't either nice or honest".

Anyway, like I said, FWIW. Something to think about. You don't need to respond, since you weren't really asking me anyway.
It was good to read your take on it. It's added a bit to my understanding of this scene.