View Single Post
Old 2013-05-05, 17:27   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0
Operating system:
I keep my OS, apps and documents on their own partition, away from sizeable games* and media. Hence I can create reasonably sized, compressed "images" of my operating system using a program like Acronis True Image , and then restore my system from them using a boot disc - no working OS required! (so long as the boot disc works with your hardware, I've had occassional problems so make sure you test)
That's a useful way to go about the space issues.

I'm actually more concerned for my documents and media than my system, though. Setting up the system isn't hard. Documents are not replaceable. Fortunately my work documents are on the cloud or in gmail attachments, so I haven't lost the most important stuff.

Quote:
Might be a bit complicated for what you're looking for, but perhaps you can adapt the tools I use to your use.
It's rather complex, but there *are* a few computers sitting around the house with their HDDs barely exploited. I might be able to image system files and put them there as an interim measure, hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I have tons of externals, and my preference is always to go for an external enclosure with an internal hard drive loaded in. The up-front cost is almost always more expensive than buying an "external hard drive" but there's more versatility. I've also experienced a scenario with a failing enclosure twice, once with an enclosure + internal HDD and once with an "external hard drive." I still had my drive when I sent the enclosure back for a new one, but with the "external hard drive" I had to send the entire thing back and received a "new" (refurbished) enclosure+drive.
I see.

Quote:
One benefit of certain backup solutions is incremental backups. It's not just a 1:1 mirror, but contains copies of the history of the file. The usefulness of this is being able to go back to recover a version of the file before you edited it in a certain way, or if the file became corrupt some time ago but you didn't realize it until recently. In that case, the larger the drive, the more "history" it can save.
Generally speaking, that isn't a problem for me except for data-light work documents. It's good to know nonetheless.

Thank you to you both.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote