View Single Post
Old 2004-02-28, 02:32   Link #85
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
yikes ...

this is getting less and less like a clean argument and more and more like a flamewar.

ashibaka: tapesubbing is a whole different animal than digisubbing. I'm having trouble seeing the relevance of your post there, other than its sheer unadulterated humor value (it is pretty goddamned funny )

in the early days of digisubs, before the prevalence of xdcc bots really skyrocketed, a lot of groups did in fact try to make you jump through hoops on command, so I guess you're kind of right there.... I guess really the sense of "We're better than you" has just switched sides now ... I rather wish it'd just go away altogether so we could be civil toward each other, rather than having this love-hate thing that we've got now.

Somedude: you're mostly right, that's the kind of feedback we'd rather not have in our irc channels anyway . There's community, and there are parts of the community that are nothing but detrimental. I think the feedback you were trying to point out is a lot closer to the latter than the former. I guess it's just the characterization of any community though, and I guess the prevalence of bt does successfully remove a bit of that ... but at the same time it also encourages it. When it was harder to get stuff and required work, especially on the day of the release, people didn't bitch about how the distro method sucked or how horrible it was for them, or how their leeching a half hour old torrent is slow so bt sucks and that's all there is to it. I dunno, maybe it's really just a moot point - people think bt is faster so more people use it, which initially slows it down. In the end of the equation it's faster than other methods, but it also "punishes" the early leeches by expecting them to actually participate, and to give as much as or even more than they've received. I think it breeds the "you guys are slower" attitude too, 'cause it's only time to release, not time until the episode is prevalent and easy to get.

vio5555: don't feed the ashibaka. it'll only make it worse. (and don't comment on his sig unless it's "well then you find a better network to go that will let fansubbers live on it, isn't down 3 days a week, has services and can support a reasonably large community" ... 'cause if he finds a good alternative that's not all full of warez and crap and can support the 10k+ people that will follow the bulk of the fansubbing community whereever they go and can also stand up to the massive lameass ddosers that have killed at least two such networks since mircx, he should probably tell us about it so we can go there and watch it crumble under more lameass ddosers).
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote