View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 14:46   Link #11
nativetan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I think SeijiSensei kind of reflected this in his post but.. while there are some anime tropes that appear in almost all genres, its not enough to tie them together under the category of 'anime'. It would help us a lot if you could let us know what kind of show you're interested in, or at least what genre. Hell, if you're new to anime, give examples of books/movies/t.v shows as a guideline. Another thing that might help, is what you thought of the shows: was bleach a little too childish? Were the standoffs in DBZ too damn long? Did you like the action, the powers, the characters, the story, etc. ?The thing is, while shows like Madoka Magika are pretty damn good, I don't know if you should start by watching that type of thing, it might just put you off totally. Luckily for you, if you just started watching, it probably shouldn't be too tough to find an anime of any genre. So, tell us what you're looking for, and let us help you.
I am very open minded, feel free to suggest anything you'd like. I want people to suggest all kinds of shows to me from varying genres because I want to try out all the different genres of anime out there.I don't want people to just suggest me anime based on what I've seen so far because I've seen very little and I feel that if I am suggested shows that are similar or the same as what I've already seen, i'll be missing out on what all the other genres of anime have to offer.

If anyone reading this feels that I must tell them my favorite genres before giving me an answer then I will. My favorite genres of non anime shows/movies are comedy, drama, and I also enjoy a good romance. The reason I say "non anime" is because I feel that our culture and the Japanese culture are very different and because of this we both take different routes with each of these genres. I feel the comedy in an anime would be a lot different than the comedy in a movie or t.v. show you'd see here in Canada, same goes for the other genres I listed. With this thought in mind it could be very possible that you guys suggest me a ton of comedy anime, for example, and I don't like the style of comedy that anime uses. Now this is just a thought and I could be wrong and if I am feel free to let me know cause like I said, I have very little knowledge when it comes to anime, but that's another reason I would like you guys to just suggest me your favorite anime or anime that you think any fan should see instead of just basing your suggestions of off what I've already seen or the genres I like in Canadian culture, that way I can try everything out and see what I like myself.

With that said, I would like to thank everyone who has answered so far. I am very excited to try out all of the shows I've been recommended feel free to keep the suggestions coming as well!
nativetan88 is offline   Reply With Quote