View Single Post
Old 2012-02-29, 03:33   Link #503
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Nokia unveils a 41 megapixel phone at MWC.

Well that's a bit misleading. The camera sensor is 41MP, but the best feature of it is the oversampling that produces an incredibly nice 3/5/8 MP picture, with noise effectively eliminated. You can make super high MP pictures as output, but it would look rather crappy.

The downside is that it is a Symbian phone. But Nokia is certainly going to port it to Windows in the future.
I'm not sure I'd call the 41MP images crappy looking. The "per pixel" image quality in 41MP mode should match some of the best regarded camera phones like the iPhone 4S and Nokia N9. Yes, it has 4.8 times as many pixels as the iPhone 4S... but the image sensor itself is 5.52 times the size, so the amount of light received per pixel will actually be slightly greater (assuming the lens also scales accordingly).

That said, yes, they don't intend 41MP images to be the normal use. They want people to be able to crop 5MP or 8MP shots equivalent to other 5 or 8MP camera phones out of the 41MP ones as a replacement for a traditional zoom lens, or to downsample the 41MP to 5 or 8MP as a way of reducing noise artifacts in poor light and/or high ISO.

As for Symbian, Nokia pretty much admits it's only Symbian because they wanted to get the tech out fast and its the OS they could implement the necessary software in fastest.

(I actually still use Symbian because it's one of the few OSes that has resistive touchscreen models available (the new cameraphone isn't one) and I frequently use my phone with gloves on. I keep wondering why nobody deploys Stantum's resistive multitouch tech on a smartphone - it's not like people in cold countries don't use smartphones too.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote