View Single Post
Old 2006-04-30, 12:29   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

AWOL anime fan returns and needs suggestions...

I haven't watched anime for about a year and a half, so I've lost track entirely of what's out and what's good. You know the drill- I tell ya what I really like and those of you with similar taste shout out what series I should look into. Thanks!

REALLY like:
Twelve Kingdoms
Berserk
Scrapped Princess
Gankutsuoh
Naruto
Gilgamesh
7 Samurai
Banner of the Stars
Getbackers

Like:
Avenger
Fullmetal Alchemist
Paranoia Agent
Evangelion
Bleach (I need to watch more of this....only seen 4 eps)

Essentially I'm looking for a few specific things- not necessarily all together:

1. Incredible fight choreography in the vein of Naruto and 7 Samurai. If this helps, the best choreography I've ever seen was FF: Advent Children.

2. Series that defy anime conventions. Twelve Kingdoms and Gilgamesh both looked and felt in many ways separate from other series. They had no obvious fan service, their scores were unique, and their characters looked and acted differently than you average anime character. While I can enjoy a genre hashing series as much as the next guy, it is this type of series that typically ends up being memorable.

3. This one is tough because it requires picky taste. I'm looking for any action oriented anime that features a really fun, compelling cast of characters. To better define this, I can only say that I LOVE the characters in Scrapped Princess, Getbackers, and Naruto, LIKE the characters in Fullmetal Alchemist and DISLIKED the characters in Chrno Chrusade. If that communicates to you the odd vibe that I'm trying to define, then recommend away.