View Single Post
Old 2012-01-21, 12:08   Link #7368
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Other than that... kinda wish some of the names could be consistent. Do we have official English spells? Ivan/Ewan or Sherry/Shelly or Leon/Lyon?
Yes, Hiro Mashima has provided official English translations for each name. As of the latest English translation by Kodansha (taking over from Del Ray, who also had input), the names you mentioned are spelled:

"Ivan" (apparently Del Ray originally translated it as "Iwan" since it is spelled イワン (Iwan) in Japanese, but his latest appearance in the new Kodansha translation calls him Ivan, which I assume would be pronounced "ee-VAHN," like a Russian name)

"Lyon" (if it were "Leon," it would be spelled レオン (Reon), not リオン (Rion); if you were to watch the Funimation dub of the anime, it is pronounced "lee-OWN," kind of giving it a romantic language flair, just to distinguish it from "LEE-on")

"Sherry" (since her name is シェリー (Sherii) in Japanese, it's most likely a simple case of R's vs. L's)

People are just inconsistent when it comes to romanizing names, especially fan translators like the ones who translate most of the manga you see online, despite the fact that these official English translations exist; they either don't know about them or think that their names sound better the way they do it. Some people today still call Jellal "Gerard," because it's a real name that's written as ジェラール (Jeraaru) in Japanese, like his name.

Then again, apparently Hiro Mashima provided the names "Ur" and "Ultear, the tear of Ur." Considering some names are being revised by Kodansha, hopefully they'll rectify the situation and change Ur's name to Ul (since Ultear's name is still the same), because apparently Funimation did their take of the name in the English dub of the anime by keeping Ur's name and changing Ultear's name to "Urtear" (it's cool as long as the meaning of her name is the same). After all, Kodansha is also responsible for distributing the manga in Japanese, so there's no way they wouldn't have contact with Hiro Mashima.

I just know what you should be doing.

Last edited by immblueversion; 2012-01-21 at 12:31.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote