View Single Post
Old 2009-06-17, 03:47   Link #38
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
So, let me get this straight, it's better to have a fundamentalist regime on a foreign country so that it can get crushed by warfare? So we can have yet another excuse for a war? (Don't worry, Obama, you'll get to it sooner or later).
there IS a fundamentalist regime in iran and it will remain there REGARDLESS to whoever gets elected
the guy who gets elected is only a FACE
he doesnt actually RUN the country, he just FOLLOWS ORDERS from the people who DO
so who ever gets ELECTED doesnt make any REAL difference and wont change the people who actually ARE in power
the people who actually DO run the country CANT be replaced by elections
and hence, better to have a guy who doesnt give anyone any illusions about the fact that the regime is a crazy dangerus fundamentalist regime
musavi looks like a reasonable man who might make a good LEADER
the problem is that he ISNT running to be elected as leader
he is running to be elected as FIGURE HEAD
a mouth piece for the ayatolla's

this isnt a "Democracy is broken" situation like you make it sound
this isnt a Democracy at all
and you are seeing it now in full view with whats going on there

Quote:
I agree on the idea that the people with true power would be dominating the country anyways (see my "Democracy is broken" statement). What I don't agree is on the idea that the people in power in Iran are somehow essentially different from the people in power in, say, the US or Israel. Do you really think that if the US wanted to bomb Iran it would make any difference who the face of the state is?
the difference is that if the people in power in either the US or israel dont conduct themselves like the PEOPLE want them to
they can be REPLACED
not just the head guy, but the entire compasition of the parlament or presidency
that is NOT the case in iran
ahmadinijad might go, but he isnt the one in power
the ones in power are the ones breaking the heads of protestors and blocking access to the media and internet so people cant tell the outside world whats going on

your also fundamentaly wrong about the idea that the people in power in iran are the same as the other two cases you named
the people in control in iran are DICTATORS who answer to NO ONE becouse they have convinced the people (and to some degree, themselves) that they speak for GOD (and hence, opposing them is like opposing god)
show me an american or israeli leader who would dare to say something like that
that they are in power because GOD put them in power

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-06-17 at 04:10.
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote