View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 07:38   Link #2209
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It's when Uzumi was telling Cagalli that if she were to kill someone their relative would kill her, and so on. It's basically to point out that they're not the only ones feeling the loss, and if everybody resorts to revenge, the fighting would just escalate.
That's his argument against using revenge as a motivation. I don't think he supplement that with anything about understanding. Uzumi was always about using force when force is required to defend oneself, so he's not a pacifist at all.

Quote:
That, I think, is because the show presents understanding/tolerance as some ideal end goal that is still not achievable. So they don't want to overemphasize it, but still have it in the show in some form just to point to its existence as that ideal.
First, understanding is not tolerance. Totally different concepts. And I don't think you're using either of them in the right context.

Just because a guy like Dearka switches sides because he sees the good guys' point of view that he's working for genocidal bad guys, and he likes a girl and wants to protect her, doesn't mean any form of understanding is reached.

As for Shinn/Kira/Stella, same thing there. Shinn sees that Stella is being treated terribly by the bad guys, develops a brother complex and wants to protect her. Kira doesn't know who the heck she is and kills her. Stella's mental capacity isn't even enough to reach understanding with anyone either way.