View Single Post
Old 2013-03-01, 13:28   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I'll admit that I find it strange that so many anime fans keep lists of the titles they watch, plan to watch, have dropped, and so forth. Perhaps it's only because I'm not a list-maker, but this has always struck me as peculiar. The anime community is the only fan-based community I can think of that has an entire website devoted to helping people handle their various lists
I know what you mean. One member on these forums introduced me to MyAnimeList, and I thought it a bit weird that we had a website devoted to keeping track of what are basically television shows and comics. It's actually a pretty useful resource for finding new series and getting a sense of whether it will be worth watching or not.

Regarding backlogs, yup. I didn't used to have them until I got out of anime for 2-3 years. I've pretty much been three steps behind everyone else since then, and it's made worse by my limited time to "catch up." The downside is that I don't experience the joys of anticipating a new episode each week, nor watching it alongside the community. The upside is that I'm fully on my own schedule, I download series that pique my interest, and I choose what to watch based on my interests at the moment.

At this rate I'll never get caught up, but that's OK. Anime viewing has always been about the experience; it's not a race to see who can watch the most. The experience is made better by watching a series over a long period of time, and marathoning a series dampens some of its impact, in my opinion. Watching a series on your own time can require some self-discipline in that regard, but I'm lucky if I have the time to watch one episode per day, so that's a non-issue for me at the moment.