View Single Post
Old 2012-11-09, 15:08   Link #31131
Ryuudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
The "24 hours later" is Battler speaking just before midnight on the 5th. The whole investigation is a flashback of what he was doing that day on the empty island.

He spoke to Beatrice at midnight on the 4th, and he thought everyone was dead by that time, but he didn't actually find Shannon's corpse until much later.
Ah thank you. My mistake. It was a bit confusing because normally the only flashbacks that occur are over the span of several decades.

I understand that Yasu committed suicide (because of Battler), but why would he/she go and do it as Shannon? The story typically implies that, each game, Yasu kills off that personality inside him/her before or by the end of the murders. The fantasy narration also implies that Shannon was "killed off" before Battler even met with Yasu. R07 generally writes fantasy scenes to not be blatantly false, but to be metaphorical, so it kind of implies that when Kyrie and Krauss' group were hunted down she also killed Kanon and Shannon inside of his/her mind. If so why would Yasu "revive" Shannon only to suicide as her? Also if Yasu is allowed to revive Kanon or Shannon on whim then wouldn't that take away from the image of what the red truth represents? The whole explanation for meta Beatrice being able to confirm their deaths in red each game is, to my understanding, the idea of personality deaths; Yasu being able to revive them on whim after killing them would severely undermine this. If she committed suicide because of Battler after the murders then I imagine he/she'd do it in Kinzo's study or something. If Yasu committed suicide as Shannon because Battler's promise to Shannon in the past (if she did it because of this it implies that she's trying to make a statement) then that's kind of contradictory with her doing it in one of the least visible places on the island that a normal person wouldn't normally walk through.

Also if Yasu did suicide as Shannon after everything occurred, then why would it be consistent with the earlier fantasy narrative? Assuming the earlier fantasy scene of Shannon's death was an abnormality (all other occasions fantasy scenes are metaphorical and still occurred in some way) and it didn't occur then why does Shannon's "after the fact" suicide coincidentally match it?

If it's to "get back" as Battler then suiciding as Shannon (and making all bodies accounted for) only says to piece-Battler that a "19th" person exists and puts him at relative ease in regards to his complex over suspecting his friends or family.

And if it was to make a statement, IE: "You baka, you didn't remember our promise, so I will now die in the form of the person you made the promise to" then Yasu suiciding in a location that someone would likely never walk by is contradictory to this.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote