View Single Post
Old 2008-10-06, 14:19   Link #55
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Dosen't look too fast since we see cities and such that while clearly damaged are not gone. I also seem to recall something about how it's dangerous, but not like instantly fatal which sets another benchmark.

You also haven't countered my point that it might simply not be a factor I mean how high up could this stuff possibly go? To outer space? And again there is the distance factor in WW2 a fighter would to close to within a few hundred feet to engage. A modern jet could be attacking from dozens of miles out.

Perhaps though you've still yet to explain why given what I've pointed out above.
I don't see why you're arguing about modern jets, when SW isn't set in a modern era. It's a WW2 show; modern jets don't factor into the equation. You can't argue how knights in some medieval era show are useless since you could cut them down with a squad of riflemen, now can you? It's not really Strike Witches any more if you take it out of its setting. I mean, if you can't figure out a way to deal with it with WW2 technology, then those modern jets wouldn't even exist, considering all of humanity would probably be dead.

And while it might not be instantaneously fatal, I doubt it's in anyone's best interest to fly into what is essentially poison gas. You might not die immediately, but I'll bet it'd at least incapacitate you to some degree. As for the cities, if you're talking about the anime, then they don't even show any Neuroi-occupied cities... of course it won't be covered in miasma. Ostmark was the first country to fall in the Neuroi invasion, and the entire country, or former country as stressed in the book, is described as a barren wasteland covered in the miasma. That's kind of a wide area of poison gas to cross. Even if it doesn't reach very high (and there's nothing saying it doesn't reach as high as their floating hives or higher, considering the hives spew it out as well), most of Book 2 talks about the liberation of one Neuroi-occupied city, where no amount of aerial bombing can put even the slightest dent in the Neuroi forces. They just make new ones by breaking the city down, faster than they can be destroyed, and in the end, it takes a large-scale joint air and ground operation assembled from all over Suomus to really clear the Neuroi out of just the one city. Moral of the story, so what if planes can go over it? That's not going to do anything to help you win the war.