View Single Post
Old 2008-07-21, 00:25   Link #156
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Also, what's a correct slice of life archetype and how does this show not fit into it?
No one knows how to define slice of life because it's too new a genre, but this is how I see it:

The point of this genre is not that it depicts real life (that would include a crapload of unrelated series). Some genres put the focus on characters, others on plot progression, but slice of life shows put the focus on the setting. Thus, you can have series with sci fi elements (Planetes, ARIA) or supernatural (Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto) that do represent the epytome of slice of life quite well. ARIA, for example, was the perfect example every SoL series had to aspire to until Hal Film Maker's adaptation of Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto hit the air this month, taking that spot... and none of those shows realistically depict day-to-day life (ARIA has sci fi and supernatural elements, Mahou Tsukai is partly supernatural).

Quote:
Because of the 4-koma heritage of Lucky*Star, it has a "setup gag, execute, aftermath" skit quality to it.
Now, Lucky Star, as Vexx puts it, was nothing more than a random collection of gags without too much cohesion to them. However, the 4-koma heritage is not determinant to the outcome, as Azumanga Daioh already proved it--that series managed to turn random 4-koma gags into a cohesive progression that, ultimately, had an important focus on the setting (though it was more focused on the characters, of course). Kyoani, though, did not achieve that... perhaps they didn't want to, or perhaps the source material was too constrictive, who knows. But that's my reason not to consider LS a SoL series. Not once I saw a scene that made me feel at inner peace, relaxing and enjoying the stillness of the setting.

If you want to see what really is a slice of life show taken to the extreme, watch this season's Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~ Natsu no Sora. Of course, since it's the extreme depiction of a genre, it will turn a lot of people off--but at least it will help you get an idea of what I consider slice of life to be.

Other good series:

- ARIA is another strong SoL title, though not as extreme as MTnTnK.
- Azumanga Daioh is a classic series, and everyone should watch it, at least for the comedy side.
- Ichigo Mashimaro, besides being one of the best directed comedies ever known to man with possibly the best ensemble seiyuu cast ever to grace an anime production, is also a great example of slice of life mixed with character-interaction based comedy.
- I haven't watched Planetes, but I hear from good sources that its slice of life side is quite strong. And it's sci fi.
- Other drama-based series like Haibane Renmei and Honey & Clover have pretty noticeable slice of life elements, though it's not their focus.

Quote:
It's an anime show about girls. Why should all posters have a complete thesis with sound argument in stunning eloquence prepared for every single posts for such a topic?
I believe that's the point of analyzing art, right? After all, the Sistine Chapel is just a church.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-21 at 00:35.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote